Tuesday, June 3, 2008

On broccoli


My broccoli fell over. I don't really get how a whole head of broccoli is going to grow on those skinny little stalks. It's growing great, big, tough leaves that I want to chop into some pad see eiw. But is it supposed to fall over or was that the fault of the robins who are constantly pecking in the beds (on account of my vigorous worm population - yay!)? So far the robins have done little damage except to one pea plant that's coming back. Or was the broccoli trampled by neighbor cat who, I hope, is no longer using the bed as a litter box?

Well, I didn't think the broccoli was supposed to fall over so I propped it up with a little mound of soil. I then looked online and found out that broccoli plants grow to be 2-2.5 feet tall! And it grows multiple heads. "Removing the central head stimulates the side shoots to develop for later picking." says the UofI extension website. Wow! 3 heads per plant, 4 plants = 12 heads of broccoli? Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

nice blog! when i come visit, will you make me pad see yeu?